JAGDA international student poster award 2023
From 01.05.2023 to 31.07.2023 CompetitionJapan
ICoD is pleased to announce the Member Event JAGDA International Student Poster Award 2023 organised by Japan Graphic Design Association Inc. (JAGDA). The 2023 theme is “Share”, submissions are open from 01 May to 31 July 2023.
The JAGDA International Student Poster Award is a B1-size poster competition, aimed to discover and acknowledge outstanding young talents from across the world and to promote the further advancement of graphic design. Posters allow ideas to be freely expressed through the rich mixture of graphics and texts, giving them the instantaneous power to move the viewers' hearts and create visual communications that go beyond nations and regions. Our hope is to create a better understanding of each other and to share international issues through the means of posters. Call for Works: 1 May – 31 July 2023.
Works must be a poster in B1 size (width 728mm x height 1,030mm, portrait orientation only) produced between August 2022 and July 2023. The work must include the word Theme “Share”. In addition to works produced for this award, school assignments, graduation projects and works submitted to other awards are also accepted.
- Submissions: 01 May 2023 - 31 July 2023
- Announcement of Finalists 10 October 2023
- Award Ceremony 02 December 2023
- Exhibition: 29 November – 11 December 2023
Applicants must be current students enrolled in high school, technical college, specialized training college, university or graduate school as of 1 January 2023. Applicants of all nationalities and all ages are welcome to apply. Applications from teams are not accepted (individuals only).
NUMBER OF APPLICATION
The number of submissions per applicant is unlimited. When submitting a series, it should consist of 3 or less posters.
1,000 Japanese Yen per poster.
- Registration from Mon 1 May until Mon 31 July. Register your entry, upload the poster image, and complete the payment on the Award website.
- Payment from Mon 1 May until Tue 1 Aug. Payment will not be accepted after the deadline.
- First and Second round of judging: August (online).
- Announcement of selected works (Mon 4 Sep). The result will be announced on the Award website and email (to the selected applicants only).
- Submission of selected actual posters (Thu 21 – Fri 22 Sep). Selected applicants will send actual posters and hi-res images (for catalogue) to the Secretariat.
- Third round judging: late September (actual posters).
- Announcement of Awards (Tue 10 Oct). The result will be announced on the Award website and email (to the winners only).
- Exhibition (Wed 29 Nov–Mon 11 Dec) The National Art Center, Tokyo.
- Catalogue (Wed 29 Nov.) A catalogue of awarded and selected works will be published.
The first and second rounds of judging will be conducted online, where Selected Works will be determined. The third round of judging will be held in person in front of printed posters, where the Grand Prix and other award-winning works will be determined. The jury is comprised of the following members.
The first round (JAGDA Student Grand Prix Committee)
- Koji Iyama (Japan) [Chairperson] (Japan)
- Koichi Kosugi (Japan)
- Takafumi Kusagaya (Japan)
- Chiharu Shimizu (Japan)
- Norito Shinmura (Japan)
The second and third round
- Taku Satoh (Japan) [Jury president]
- Neville Brody (U.K.)
- Naomi Hirabayashi (Japan)
- Shinwoo Park (South Korea)
- Katsuhiko Shibuya (Japan)
- Yui Takada (Japan)
- Yong Xiao (China)
The following awards will be presented upon agreement among the jury members.
- Grand Prix: 1 work (certificate, commemorative gift)
- Gold: 2 works (certificate, commemorative gift)
- Silver: 5 works (certificate, commemorative gift)
- Bronze: 10 works (certificate, commemorative gift)
- Jury Award: 7 works (certificate)
- Special Sponsorship Award: Approximately 15 works (certificate)
- Selected: Approximately 200 works
The Grand Prix and Gold recipients will be invited to attend the Awards Ceremony to be held in December 2023 (round-trip transportation and accommodation fees will be provided to winners residing in distant locations). The Grand Prix and Gold and Silver winning works will be published in the annual book “Graphic Design in Japan 2024”. All Winning and Selected Works will be exhibited at the National Art Center, Tokyo, and will be published in the official catalogue.
- Date: 29 November – 11 December 2023
- Venue: The National Art Center, Tokyo, Gallery 1C (Roppongi, Tokyo)
- Exhibits: Award winning and Selected works