associate dean, academic affairs
Faculty of Design OCAD University
Valid from 24.10.2021 to 17.01.2020
OCAD University (OCAD U), Canada’s university of the imagination, provides a vibrant and stimulating environment for its faculty and students. Committed to excellence and contemporary approaches to education, OCAD U offers eighteen undergraduate programs, seven graduate programs, and a variety of continuing and executive education courses in art, media and design. OCAD U is currently seeking outstanding, creative researchers/practitioners and gifted, collaborative teachers to augment its professoriate in this Tenured opportunity.
Reporting to the Dean, Faculty of Design, the position of Associate Dean, Academic Affairs, plays a vital role within the Faculty of Design’s administrative team. Under the ethos of Respectful Design, the Associate Dean is responsible for oversight and management of the Faculty of Design’s curricular management, faculty teaching support and performance; and student issues related to teaching and curriculum. The Associate Dean champions the processes of decolonizing, Indigenous Vitalization, and diversifying the Faculty’s curriculum, as proposed in OCAD U’s developing Academic Plan. Commensurate with this opportunity is a Tenured appointment at the rank of Associate Professor.
Summary of Responsibilities:
• In conjunction with the Dean, provide oversight and leadership implementing the University’s Academic Plan, with an emphasis on facilitating the decolonization, Indigenous Vitalization, diversification and equity of the curriculum, and the scholarship of learning and teaching and scholarship of engagement
• In conjunction with the Dean, provide oversight and leadership in course planning, and stewardship of the quality, maintenance, and transformation of Faculty of Design curriculum; with a particular focus on innovative and accessible delivery models, inclusive design, sustainability, interdisciplinary, student mobility, and experiential learning
• Ensure that students are informed by a wide spectrum of knowledge and experience embodied in an inclusive variety of communities, philosophies and ways of knowing
• In consultation with the Dean and delegates develop curriculum connections with industry partners
• In consultation with the Dean and delegates develop a culture for the Scholarship of Learning and Teaching and the Scholarship of Engagement
• Provide support and act as a liaison to the Indigenous Visual Cultural Program (INVC)
• In conjunction with the Faculty leadership team, develop and implement the Respectful Design strategic vision of the Faculty of Design in accordance with the University academic and strategic planning documents, including OCAD U’s strategic equity priorities to manage and diversify student enrollment, grow and diversify the faculty complement, and manage programs
• In conjunction with the Dean, (and with consultation with the Director, Facilities & Studio Services, Chief Information Officer, Program Chairs, Director, Safety & Security Services, and individual faculty (as required) coordinate space and equipment planning and budgeting related to facilities that support the curricular needs of the Faculty of Design, including the development and build of the Creative City Campus
• In conjunction with the Dean and Director, Academic Relations, participate in the planning and preparation of the annual budget for the Faculty of Design
• Work closely with the Dean on strategic enrolment management including admission and retention targets and enrolment number projections and analysis related to curricular offering and budgets for the number of sections and faculty complement
• Conduct faculty performance evaluations for Contractually-Limited Term Appointment (CLTA), Continuing, Teaching-Intensive Stream (TIS), Tenure-Track and Tenured faculty in accordance with the Memorandum of Agreement and University policy,
• Facilitate the Faculty of Design professional development activities including acting as liaison between the Faculty of Design and the Faculty Curriculum and Development Centre (FCDC), the Writing and Learning Centre, and other departments on faculty training, sabbatical applications, reports and presentations
• Facilitate the resolution of individual faculty and student matters as they pertain to courses, scheduling, and program plans
• In conjunction with the Faculty, Vice-Provost, Students & International, Student Advisors and Program Assistants, ensure students are appropriately informed about Design program courses, graduation requirements, and program plans, and make referrals as appropriate
• Work with the Dean to communicate and consult regularly with students and faculty regarding matters pertaining to the Faculty of Design
• Liaise and work with the Writing & Learning Center on issues relating to literacy and student learning
• Liaise and work with the FCDC on issues relating to curriculum mapping, new curriculum development, faculty professional development, and pedagogy
• Assist the Dean in other related tasks that contribute to the successful operation of the Faculty of Design
• Ensure the academic excellence and integrity of the Faculty of Design programs as well as alignment of all teaching and learning practices with academic standards and university policies
• A terminal degree in a relevant field, with a PhD preferred
• A minimum of five years’ experience teaching at the post-secondary (university) level, an excellent record of professional/scholarly activity; prior experience in educational administration an asset
• Demonstrated record of academic leadership in Design
• Demonstrated leadership and experience promoting a respectful and inclusive work and learning environment for students, staff, and faculty
• Demonstrated knowledge relevant to decolonizing, Indigenizing, and diversifying curriculum
• A familiarity with and respect for the diverse range of current issues in post-secondary education
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and organizational abilities
• Demonstrated collegiality and ability to take initiative
• A familiarity with and understanding of OCAD U Strategic and Academic Plans
• Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of students, faculty, and staff, with student academic counselling experience an asset
• Demonstrated commitment to the principles of equity and diversity and experience promoting a respectful work and learning environment for students, staff and faculty
• An awareness/understanding of the six different Faculty of Design undergraduate programs and five programs in Graduate Studies and their unique forms of design discipline, pedagogy, and needs
Terms Of Employment:
The appointment will be made for a term of three years, from July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2023, with the possibility of renewal for an additional term of up to three years. This position is full-time and consists of approximately 60 – 80% administrative release per annum, depending on course assignment, the scheduling of which will be determined in consultation with and agreement of the Dean, Faculty of Design. This academic leadership role includes an annual stipend with access to professional development funding.
Applications should include: a letter of intent stating the candidate’s interest in the position and academic administration/leadership, as well as their interest in teaching and research/professional practice. A curriculum vitae; a statement of teaching philosophy, a digital portfolio of recent work/publications (if applicable); and the names and contact information of three referees.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their application in confidence, addressed to Chair, Associate Dean Search Committee, Faculty of Design, online by clicking the “Apply Now” button below.
The review of applications will begin on Friday January 17, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.
As an institution committed to art, design, digital media and related scholarship, OCAD University (OCAD U) recognizes the profound and essential value that diversity brings to the creation, reception and circulation of creative practices and discourse. OCAD U understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are essential to, and enrich the institution’s core mission and vision as an art and design university with a local and global scope.
As an employer committed to employment equity, we encourage applications from members of equity-seeking communities including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions. We encourage members of equity-seeking groups to self-identify within the voluntary Applicant Questionnaire.
In order to alleviate the under-representation of racialized and Indigenous Tenured faculty and academic administrators, priority in hiring will be given to qualified racialized and Indigenous persons who self-identify as such in the application process. This initiative is a special program under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
OCAD U is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free experience to applicants with accessibility needs. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage during the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources for more information or refer to OCAD U’s Policy of Accommodation in Employment for Persons with Disabilities.
All qualified persons are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those short-listed will be contacted.