associate professor / assistant professor in design
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Hong Kong SAR
Valid from 16.05.2023 to 03.07.2023
The School of Design at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University is looking for candidates who will work in a transdisciplinary design environment that builds on the School’s global position within the regional and Chinese context (e.g. the Greater Bay Area).
THE HONG KONG POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY
With 85 years of rich heritage, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) has evolved alongside our society and made pivotal contributions to the development of Hong Kong, the Nation and the world. PolyU pursues world-class excellence in education and research, and it offers a wide range of programmes in six faculties and three independent schools. Besides ranking among the top 100 universities globally by both THE and QS World University Rankings, PolyU was placed among the top 50 universities in four disciplines in QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023, with three of them ranking 1st in Hong Kong.
SCHOOL OF DESIGN
Associate Professor / Assistant Professor in Design (several posts) (Ref. 230505003)
The School of Design, as a leading and transdisciplinary design school, is at the forefront of nurturing responsible, open-minded, creative talents and active learners; contributing to innovation in Hong Kong and Mainland China while maintaining a global perspective. As one of the top design schools in the world, its highly diverse design expertise widely includes Product Design, Interactive Design, Information Design, Advertising Design, Media Design, Interior and Environmental Design, Social Innovation Design, Service Innovation Design, Urban Design, Business Innovation Design, Intelligent Systems Design, Intelligent Services Design and Multimedia Entertainment Technology. The School’s research and consultancy work are of an applied nature relevant to industrial, commercial and community needs. It is ranked 20th by the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023 for Art and Design, ranking among the top institutions in Asia. The School is based in a Zaha Hadid building well-equipped for innovative research and creative learning on the university campus. Please visit the website at https://www.sd.polyu.edu.hk/en/ for more information about the School.
The Design discipline at the School takes a sustainable and humanistic approach which also aims to expand the scope of traditional design into the sociotechnical realms. The three conceptual pillars constitute: (a) Social Design - collaborative design with communities and the public sectors to improve living conditions through critical, systemic and participatory approaches; (b) Design Economies - an entrepreneurial design that enhances service innovation and value creation in the private sector; and (c) Design Making - human-centred and hands-on design investigations in labs and with communities, in the practices of making and prototyping via socio-technical means. They are identified as the three flagship themes to consolidate the research focus and emerging pedagogies in the School.
The School is looking for candidates who will work in a transdisciplinary design environment that builds on the School’s global position within the regional and Chinese context (e.g. the Greater Bay Area).
More specifically, candidates are sought, preferably with industrial experiences plus teaching and research track record in any one of the following areas:
- Communication Design (e.g. strategy, branding, advertising, content creation, information design, infographics, wayfinding, animation content creation, filmmaking, storytelling)
- Content Design (e.g. digital content creation, digital communication design, brand development, publication design)
- Design for Entrepreneurship (e.g. design strategy, user-centred design, design management, circular design, product service systems)
- Digital Entertainment and Game Development (e.g. applied anthropology, psychology, neuroscience, socio-technical systems)
- Interactive System Design (e.g. UX design, smart product, design for AI, internet of things, digital fabrication, data-driven design)
- Service Design and Social Innovation (e.g. strategic innovation, user experience design, organisational/community design)
- Candidates are expected to demonstrate a strong research potential and/or good publication track record in transdisciplinary design projects (e.g. healthcare systems, smart tourism, e-enterprises, city-regeneration, age-friendly city, etc.
The appointees will be required to:
- synthesise knowledge and design applications with theories, design research methods and form-giving techniques;
- provide leadership in all aspects of academic activities, including research, teaching and service among the design disciplines;
- teach at undergraduate and/or postgraduate levels in a mix of design disciplines;
- act as a student advisor and supervisor to groups as well as individual students including research students;
- secure competitive research grants and conduct research that leads to publications in refereed journals, or a body of design work which leads to outputs contributing to the knowledge and teaching of the design disciplines;
- engage actively in research and scholarly activities serving the regional and international industry with significance and relevance to the discipline and profession;
- work with industry, nonprofits and the public sector to initiate funded research projects;
- activate inter-departmental and inter-institutional collaboration and networking; and
- perform any other duties as assigned by the Dean of the School or his delegates.
Applicants should have:
- a relevant PhD degree with professional and/or teaching experiences in a specialised area of Design and/or a related discipline;
- extensive knowledge of and expertise in an area of design with hands-on techniques;
- extensive knowledge of and track record in design research and research methodologies;
- a high level of contextual and cultural awareness, and a vision for the future development of the profession; and
- a strong commitment to excellence in teaching, research and professional service.
Applicants for appointment at the Associate Professor level should have stronger relevant academic and/or professional achievements. Candidates with less experience will be considered for appointment at a lower level.
Applicant should submit (a) a letter of application declaring a focus area of expertise; (b) updated curriculum vitae; (c) a brief statement of research and teaching philosophy; (d) three key publications; and (e) a design and/or teaching portfolio including samples of personal and professional work.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
A highly competitive remuneration package will be offered. The initial appointment for Assistant Professor will be on a fixed-term gratuity-bearing contract. Re-engagement thereafter is subject to mutual agreement. An appropriate term will be provided for appointment at the Associate Professor level. For general information on terms and conditions for the appointment of academic staff in the University, please visit the website at https://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/docdrive/careers/doc/Prof.pdf.
Please submit an application through PolyU’s career website (https://jobs.polyu.edu.hk/academic). Consideration of applications will commence on 3 July 2023 until the positions are filled. The University’s Personal Information Collection Statement for recruitment can be found at https://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/careers/pics_for_recruitment/.
PolyU is an equal-opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, ethnicity, nationality, family status or physical or mental disabilities.