assistant/associate professor, undergraduate and graduate communications design departments
School of Design at Pratt Institute
Valid from 07.02.2022 to 01.08.2022
The Undergraduate and Graduate Communications Design Departments in the School of Design at Pratt Institute invite applications for a full-time tenure track position at the Assistant or Associate Professor rank to begin August 2022. We seek applicants with a broad vision of the future of design and the ability to articulate that vision. Both departments are recognized leaders in the field and currently offer BFA in Communications Design, MFA in Communications Design and MS in Package Design degrees.
Assistant/Associate Professor - Undergraduate and Graduate Communications Design Departments (71102)
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Successful candidates will have a strong record of achievement that includes professional practice, contemporary scholarship and creative activity in the field of communications design; expertise in the practice, theory and history of communications design; and the ability to teach across a wide range of courses at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Demonstrated commitment to design education, curricular development and pedagogical innovation as well as engagement with current and emerging platforms, skills and literacies in contemporary design practice are essential.The selected applicant will be expected to model historical and critical perspectives on contemporary communications design, including issues surrounding globalism, sustainability, technological advancement, and equity and inclusion. Candidates' professional and/or scholarly focus may include a broad set of interests and applications within graphic design, illustration, package design and related disciplinary practices, including but not limited to: interaction/experiential design, creative coding, transdisciplinary design, speculative design, digital storytelling, networked communications and augmented/virtual reality.
Successful candidates will work within and across both departments as well as collaborate with other disciplines within the institute. We are committed to advancing diversity and inclusion in our curriculum as well as in the ranks of our faculty, students and staff and seek applicants who can contribute to the furtherance of these goals.
Pratt Institute provides the creative leaders of tomorrow the knowledge and experience to make a better world. A top-ranked college with opportunities in art, design, architecture, liberal arts and sciences, and information studies, Pratt offers nearly 50 undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
The Institute's impact expands beyond its 25-acre residential campus in Brooklyn to cutting-edge facilities throughout the borough, a landmark building and public gallery in Manhattan, as well as an extension campus, PrattMWP College of Art and Design in Utica, New York. Since its founding in 1887, Pratt has prioritized diversity and inclusion, welcoming students from all walks of life while developing and sustaining pathways to more equitable workplaces and careers.
Today, Pratt and its exceptional faculty pride themselves on being academically excellent as well as adaptable to both in-person and online learning. Pratt students are part of a collaborative, interdisciplinary, research- and inquiry-based education that prepares them for success in creative fields and professional practice, with the goal of contributing to a fairer, more sustainable world. With a long-held commitment to the communities of New York, Pratt partners locally through the Pratt Center for Community Development to work for a more just city. The Institute also offers a variety of programs for local pre-college and continuing education students in the Center for Art, Design, and Community Engagement K-12 and the School of Continuing and Professional Studies.
The value of a Pratt education is evident in its graduates' diverse and thriving careers, where their designs, art, work, and environments have reimagined our world. In over 75 countries across the globe, Pratt's 61,000 alumni are advancing the creative economy and making a positive impact through their remarkable work and research.
• Teach required undergraduate and graduate communications design courses as well as electives in the candidate's area of expertise.
• Maintain active and recognized professional practice, research/scholarship and creative activity.
• Actively participate in departmental and institutional service, including committee work and academic support services including, but not limited to, curricular coordination and development, curricular assessment, supervision of student organizations, student advising and recruitment activities.
• Embrace new forms of critically engaged practice and pedagogy and contribute to the development of a strong culture of design scholarship, research and innovation in the department.
• Build interdisciplinary collaborations both inside and outside the School of Design with a focus on opportunities for collaboration between the undergraduate and graduate departments.
MFA or MDes or degree equivalent in communications design, visual communication, graphic design, interaction design, or a related discipline.
• Demonstrated excellence in teaching with a minimum of 3 years experience at the undergraduate and/or graduate level.
• At least 3-5 years of recognized, current professional practice and/or creative scholarship in the field of communication design or related discipline.
• Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
• Excellent collaborator with management and leadership skills:
• Ability to meet deadlines and communicate effectively.
• Understanding of historical and critical perspectives on contemporary communications design including issues surrounding globalism, sustainability, technological advancement, and equity and inclusion.
• Expertise in a broad range of methodologies, concepts, techniques and technology related to contemporary communications design practice.
• Demonstrated ability to work with other faculty and students on interdisciplinary/
• Experience in curricular design, coordination and development.
• Dedication to the building of a community of scholars/educators.
• Successful funding procurement and grant activity.
SALARY is competitive and commensurate with education and experience.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2829261
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pratt Institute recognizes and values the benefits of a diverse workforce.