Good Design Award 2011: Special Award winners
Above: The 2011 Good Design Grand Award winner. 'Traffic record map' by Honda Motor Co., Ltd. was from the 'Design for social contribution activity ' category. Photo: courtesy of JDP.
Good Design Grand AwardThe Good Design Grand Award recognises the best and most popular entry selected from all award winners, through the votes of the judges and visitors to the Good Design Exhibition.
Traffic record map - Honda Motor Co., Ltd.On 12 March, a day after the Great Eastern Japan Earthquake, driving data collected from the vehicles of Honda?s Internavi, the membership car-navigation system was quickly used to release information on traffic status of routes, to support smooth movement in disaster area. Then, Google released the traffic map using this information on 14 March so that people could easily use the updated information to help residents of disaster areas. This is the exquisite corporate contribution design for the society and creative endeavor to be assigned for Grand Award.
Company: Honda Motor Co., Ltd.
Producer: Honda Motor Co., Ltd.
Director: TakeshiImai, Executive General Manager, Internavi Telematics Division, Honda Motor Co.,Ltd.
Designer: Kazuya Tamura, Manager/Chief Engineer, Internavi Telematics Division,
Staff Administrator: Tadafumi Nogawa, Internavi Telematics Division
Senior Staff: Aiko Sugawara, Internavi Telematics Division
Above: Three of the 2011 Good Design Gold Award winners Â LED Bulb [Panasonic LDAHV4L27CG] | Panasonic Corporation; 3MÂ LittmannÂ® Electronic Stethoscope Model 3100 / 3200; and Ultrasonograph (Vscan) | GE Healthcare Japan Corporation. Photos: courtesy of JDP.
Good Design Gold Award WinnersThe Good Design Gold Award recognises select designs from all of the Good Design Award winners, based on the consensus of all the judges.
- LED Bulb [Panasonic LDAHV4L27CG] | Panasonic Corporation
- Bath room [Sphiano] | LIXIL Corporation
- Thin-film solar module [NS-F135G5] | Sharp Corporation
- 3D SMART LED TV [UN55D7000/7900/8000] |
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
- Bolt and Nut [L/R neji] | NejiLaw Inc.
- In vitro diagnostic system [In vitro diagnostic system and
an approach to its design] | Sysmex Corporation
- Ultrasonograph [Vscan] | GE Healthcare Japan Corporation
- Electronic Stethoscope [3MÂLittmannÂ® Electronic Stethoscope Model 3100/3200] | 3M Health Care Limited
- Heavy Ion Irradiation System | Toshiba Corporation, National Institute
of Radiological Sciences and NIHON SEKKEI, INC.
- Surgical Lights [SKYLUX CRYSTAL] |
vYAMADA SHADOWLESS LAMP CO., LTD.
- Xylophone [ÂXylophoneÂ] | NTT DOCOMO, INC.
- Game System [Kinect] | Microsoft Japan Co., Ltd.
Above: One the 2011 Good Design Sustainable Design Award recipients - Slope stability method [Non-frame method] | Nippon Steel & Sumikin Metal Products Co., Ltd. Photo: courtesy of JDP.
Good Design Sustainable Design AwardThe Good Design Sustainable Design Award recognises designs which will make a contribution to realising a sustainable society.
- Rental row house [Toyosaki Nagaya] | Osaka City University Graduate School of Human Life Science
- Slope stability method [Non-frame method] | Nippon Steel & Sumikin Metal Products Co., Ltd.
- Pre Organic Cotton Program | kurkku Co., Ltd and ITOCHU. Corp.
- Offset Printing Inks [Non Voc Rice bran Inks] | TOYO INK CO., LTD
- Bicycle Sharing Service Platform | NTT DOCOMO, INC.
Above: (left) Japanese candles [Okome no Rosoku(Candles made from rice)] |
Daiyo Ltd. and (right) Super Water-Repellent FUROSHIKI [Nagare] |
Asakura Senpu Co., Ltd. and .:.:.:. Photos: courtesy of JDP.
Good Design Small and Medium Enterprises AwardThe Good Design Small and Medium Enterprises Award recognises exceptional design of SME products.
- Work Gum boots [Tractor shoes long] | Marukatsu
- Active Wheelchair [Vortex] | NISSIN MEDICAL INDUSTRIES CO., LTD
- Japanese candles [Okome no Rosoku(Candles made from rice)] |
- Super Water-Repellent FUROSHIKI [Nagare] |
Asakura Senpu Co., Ltd. and .:.:.:
- Hoe [Design Farm Tools ÂHumi-SukiÂ] | AIDAGODO KOJO, INC.
- Urushi Laquer [Joboji Urushi Lacquer] | JOBOJI URUSHI WORKSHOP
- SnowPeak Headquarters | SnowPeak Inc
- Grip Handle [Gripper] | Nishimura Jig Co., Ltd.
Photo: courtesy of JDP.
The Good Design Award of the Japan Chamber of Commerce and Industry recognises comprehensive efforts to revitalise local economies.
Good Design Award of the Japan Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Design for local vitalization based on the job creation
[Kyushu-Chikugo Genki Project] | Chikugo Area Employment creation project conference
Above: Tableware [Nejiri - Ume series] | HAKUSAN Porcelain Co., LTD., one of the 2011 Good Design Life Life Design Award recipients. Photo: courtesy of JDP.
Good Design Long Life Design AwardThe Good Design Long Life Design Award recognises entries that have been supported by consumers for many years.
- Eraser [MONO] | Tombow Pencil Co., Ltd.
- Pencil  | Tombow Pencil Co., Ltd.
- Water Colors [Holbein Artists? Water Colors] | HOLBEIN WORKS, Ltd.
- Case [Portafile] | FUJIKOWA INDUSTRY Co., LTD.
- Wooden Toy [Gakuen Tsumiki] | Jiyugakuen Kougei Kenkyusho
- Loupe [Hi-Grade Loupe for Reading] | Nikon Vision Co., Ltd.
- Stereomicroscope [SMZ] | Nikon Corporation
- Watch [CASIO Digital watch A168|DBC-610|LA670] | CASIO Computer Co., LTD.
- Watch [Prospecs Marin Master Professional] SEIKO Watch Corporation
- Camera [RICOH GR series] | RICOH Company Ltd.
- Effecter [Boss Compact Effecter Series] | BOSS Corporation
- Tableware [Nejiri - Ume series] | HAKUSAN Porcelain Co., LTD.
- Juicer | Mixer [Panasonic MJ-M31 Series] | Panasonic Corporation
- Portable Kerosene Heater [SL Type] | CORONA Corporation
- Stool [8110HZ|8110GZ] | Okamura Corporation
- Office Chair [Aeron Chair] | Herman Miller Japan, Ltd.
- Drink [ÂOi OchaÂ Green Tea] | ITOEN, LTD.
- Mosquito Coil [Kincho-no-Uzumaki] | Dainihon Jochugiku Co., Ltd.
Good Design Frontier Design AwardNo award was granted for 2011.
For more information:
Good Design Award
Japan Institute of Design Promotion
5th floor, Midtown Tower,
9-7-1 Akasaka, Minato-ku,
Tokyo 107-6205 Japan
About the Good Design Award
Good Design Award is a comprehensive program for the evaluation and encouragement of design organised by Japan Institute of Design Promotion (JDP). This award system was originally born in 1957, out of the belief that design was essential in breaking out of the cycle of poverty in Japan. Since then, the Good Design Award has been given to outstanding designs for more than 50 years in the pursuit of prosperous lives and industrial development. Approximately 37,000 Good Design Awards have been given in continuing these efforts. www.g-mark.org